Re: Huge Freakin' Snake!

I am not so sure competition is so important to avoid a snake reaching
the size of endothermic predators. After all, in the tropics you have
snakes that can rival in size with the endothermic top predators, and
even exceed them (consider the anaconda and jaguar). I think
competition is not always as straightforwardly implied by the fact
that two animals consume a same prey (something we don't know really
with fossils); this would require ecological studies difficult to
accomplish in fossils.