Re: Huge Freakin' Snake!

--- On Thu, 2/5/09, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I do not know too much how relative velocity of movements
> decrease
> with increase in size in snakes when compared with other
> land
> vertebrates.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In general, large heavy bodied snakes (boids and pythons mostly) get slower as
they grow larger (not that they could be considered fast at any size). Since
all the weight of the animal is resting on the ground, it acts as a greater
hindrance to movement than it would for an animal that could carry its weight
on its limbs (way higher friction quotient).

Which is not to say that there aren't some large, speedy snakes. Elapids are
notoriously speedy and some like the 14ft black mamba (_Dendroaspis polylepis_)
are well capable of "outrunning" a man over a fair distance.

Of course even a large 18ft king cobra (_Ophiophagus hannah_) is a far cry from
a boid, in robustness of build.

Jason