Re: Dinosaur Art Show at Bruce Museum, Greenwich, Connecticut

Quoting Danvarner@aol.com:

> Try this:
> http://www.brucemuseum.org/exhibitions/exhibit.php?exhibit=120
>
> And the proper term is "Restoration", not "Reconstruction". Skeletons you
> reconstruct, living extinct animals you restore. W. E. Swinton defined that a
> long time ago

I consider the opposite to be true. To 'restore' something is to return it to
it's original condition.
Since we don't know what living non-avian dinosaurs looked like originally, we
can't be said
to 'restore' them. At best we attempt to 'reconstruct' them using various lines
of evidence.

In the case of a partial skeleton, you could be said to 'restore' parts of it
by mirroring paired
elements to replace those that have been lost (assuming there were no
pathologies or
developmental irregularities in the animal). Any non-paired missing elements
(or if both of a pair
are missing) can only be 'reconstructed' using close relatives (as is the case
for partial non-paired
elements).

Dann Pigdon