Notarium question

David Peters writes:
 > Question is, when is it valid to call the structure a notarium? What
 > Rubicon must be crossed?
 >
 >   Is there such a thing as a pre-notarium? or proto-notarium?
 >
 > And if such a structure evolved more than once, should we
 > differentiate these? Should we score them differently?

If you score them differently on the assumption that they are separate
apomorphies, then you're assuming what you're setting out to prove.
Just score the morphology, and let the cladistics program sort out
what is the most parsimonious optimisation of the characters.

(But wouldn't notarium fusion by very ontogenetically dependent
anyway?)

)_v__/\  "You try to tell foreigners how big it is, but if they haven't
         experienced it, they won't get it." -- Freddie Ljungberg
         (Swedish), on the FA Cup.