RE: Matematical model of dinosaur population.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Yasmani Ceballos Izquierdo wrote:

So you want to use a published mathematical model of a population and
just program it? That's surely not a useful thesis topic - if people
have published a mathematical model, they are sure to have programmed
it themselves, why else would they have created the model if not to
calculate something with it.

What kind of thesis are we talking about, BTW? Masters? PhD?

You can of course take known growth data from some species and see how
population size is distributed over age and try to get some mortality
data from it - but again, I would expect that if sufficient data are
available, someone would have done this. Or you could take a
growth-over-age curve like that published by Erickson et al. and see
how - assuming different mortality rates, biomass is distributed over
age. This, however, is rather simple - I did a quick model of that
some time ago and found that with mortality rates of more than 25% or
so, the total biomass of Trexes smaller than 1ton would exceed that of
adults. But again, I doubt that this is sufficient stuff for a thesis.

Hope this helps,

Martin.

> Ok, then we you know an estimated mathematical model of a single species
> of dinosaur, like Coelophysis (rinehart_etal, Growth and population of
> Coelophysis, 2008) ???

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin BÃker
                   Institut fÃr Werkstoffe
                   Technische UniversitÃt Braunschweig