Re: Long-necked stegosaur coming out in Proceedings B

Jason (pristichampsus@yahoo.com) wrote:

> Fair enough. I was actually responding to a statement made about
> stegosaurs having to turn their backs on their adversaries. Presenting
> one's broad side to a predator removes the "need" for a long neck to see
> behind.

I think we're pretty much in agreement, Jason.  The only difference is that
you're doing a much better job of explaining.  :-)

The point I was trying to make was that stegosaurs would have faced away from
an approaching predator, such that the tail-spikes were optimally positioned to
take a swipe at the prospective predator.  Even if _Miragaia_ didn't have a
true thagomizer, the tail would probably have been armed with paired spikes.
In those stegosaurs that had 'em, the parascapular spines were also directed
backward.  The longer necks of stegosaurs like _Miragaia_ (and perhaps
_"Wuerhosaurus" ordosensis_) may have allowed a better view of what was going
on during these confrontations, as the predator tried to evade the swinging
tail.  It depends on how flexible the neck was.

Cheers

Tim