Re: FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE . . . PTEROSAURS HAVE LIFT OFF!

It's a bit of a strange paradox, actually: while most workers have preferred a quad stance for walking, every previous paper that has ever mentioned launch dynamics in pterosaurs has assumed a bipedal launch. That is, the general assumption was (for reasons I don't really understand) that the animals switched to biped running to take off. Bramwell made this assumption, as did Chatterjee, etc. The only explicit quad-launch models have been Jim's presentations (until my presentation in Munich and the current paper).

While you and I have disagreed about pterosaur stance, I definitely give you credit for being consistent (i.e. both walking and launching using the same gait). *Switching* to a less powerful gait to takeoff, by contrast, is rather odd.

Here is the full reference:

Habib M. 2008. Comparative evidence for quadrupedal launch in pterosaurs. Pp 161-168 in Buffetaut E, and DWE Hone, eds. Wellnhofer Pterosaur Meeting: Zitteliana B28

Cheers,

--Mike

Michael Habib, M.S.
PhD. Candidate
Center for Functional Anatomy and Evolution
Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
1830 E. Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21205
(443) 280 0181