Från: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] För Dino
Guy Ralph
Skickat: den 8 januari 2009 07:12
Till: jbois@verizon.net; dinosaur@usc.edu
Kopia: 'Hope, Sylvia'
Ämne: RE: emu invasion

John Bois <jbois@verizon.net> ponders:
"...was it eleven or so species of moa on NZ before man?"

Funny you should ask that question at this point in time.  Read the
article,
"New Moa Species Discovered" in tomorrow's _New Zealand Herald_ today
(!) at

<www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10328506
>.

Researchers from Massey University led by Professor David Lambert
collaborated with colleagues at the Royal Ontario Museum and Toronto
University on the study cited in the newspaper.  The scientists used
ancient
DNA from 125 moa bones to reconstruct the moa family tree.  Their work,
published in the _Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences_,
concludes that there were 14 moa species rather than 9, and that they
split
from a common ancestor 4 to 6 million years ago.

Dino Guy Ralph
Dinosaur and Fossil Education
Member of the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology