New names in dissertations

You know when you name a new animal in your dissertation, and the name
is out there but not actually published, so even though everyone knows
about the new name the ICZN doesn't recognise it?  Like the aetosaur
Heliocanthus in Bill Parker's dissertation?

We all know not to do this now, but ... why exactly?  What do you lose
by doing it?

I've heard it said that naming an animal in an unpublished
dissertation creates a nomen nudum, that I don't think that's right:
an unpublished name is not even a nomen nudum -- it has no
nomenclatural standing at all.  But it is the clearest possible flag
planted in the ground, so again I ask: what's the problem?

Thanks for your thoughts.

)_v__/\  Justice for the 96.  It's been too long.