re: So, you always wanted to go to Don Glut's house?

Thanks, for the ref, Dan.

I just went through the entire Don Glut photo-collection. Took awhile. It just doesn't stop. We can all thank Don for all the eye-candy along the way. Interesting that his back door has become a time portal, where modern women become cave girls as they step into his backyard. Don does need to do a serious dusting of his collection. At the present rate of sediment accumulation, it will become part of the Quaternary strata in just a few more decades.

I had taken the tour myself in 1986. I think most of the collection precedes that time. Don was a complete gentlemen and a great host to a complete stranger. His Dinosaur Dictionary was about all we had, back then, as a popular reference.

Good to see that old Jonas studio T-rex skull made it safely to California. Regarding the provenance, the original was not "hit by lightning." Rather it stood surrounded by trees at Oak Knoll Park, the site of proto-St. Louis's Science Center before the present eu-Science Center was erected. The museum also has a Jonas Triceratops. During a storm, a tree limb tore T-rex asunder (of course, lightning was probably present). The fiberglass sculpture was chain-sawed to fit into a dumpster where a roofer I knew told me about it. I dug up the head, remounted it and gave it new teeth (the originals were not rescued). All this happened in the late 1980s when I was riding the GIANTS book publicity wave (including Gallery of Dinosaurs, Strange Creatures, From the Beginning, calendars, etc., none of which did as well). The skull on wheels, like a prehistoric Trojan horse, served as a backdrop to some early publicity stills. It traveled from St. Louis to California roped down on the back of a pickup truck. Probably got some kids in Kansas and New Mexico all excited to see it on the road.

David Peters
St. Louis

http://www.collectorsquest.com/collection/item/12449/jonas-studios-tyrannosaurus-rex.html