Re: SV: Floating pterosaurs

Agreed.  That's my thinking as well.
JimC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Habib" <habib@jhmi.edu>
To: <tommy.tyrberg@norrkoping.mail.telia.com>
Cc: <jrccea@bellsouth.net>; <dannj@alphalink.com.au>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: SV: Floating pterosaurs

That would presume that pterosaurs used an avian-style launch, which is doubtful. Granted, I'm a little biased on this issue, having published a paper on it, but Jim and I also have a rather substantial amount of data to back it up. So, while I agree that a larger pterosaur would have trouble launching from the water in the manner of a large living seabird, I also suggest that they did not have to, using alternative modes of launch, instead.