Re: Phorusrhacids killing large mammals in National Geographic Channel

Do you have a reference for that incident?

Thanks

Dan

Tor Bertin wrote:
If I remember right, the one recorded death (though I think there have been
plenty of other non-lethal cassowary attacks) was due to a pair of teenagers
attacking the bird with baseball bats. One kid ran away, and the cassowary
knocked the other to the ground and punctured an artery in his neck with its
claw.

I haven't read much on cassowary aggression, but if they're anything like the
ostriches I've seen I certainly wouldn't mess with them. ;-)