Re: Privately-Owned Alioramus

The auction catalog, with multiple photos of the specimens, can be seen on-line
at:

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=USA&screen=Catalogue&iSaleNo=17502

Realized prices are posted at:

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=USA&screen=ResultsXML&iSaleNo=17502

Dan

acp002@mcdaniel.edu wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've already run this by the DML admins, and, as it refers to already-sold fossils, it is apparently alright to post this.

I ran across a story about dinosaurs that were recently sold to private collectors. Though they fixated on larger specimens, the stories all made passing mention of a skull attributed to Alioramus remotus. One stated that this was actually one of four(!!!) skulls known for this animal.

The story can be found here: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Tech%2Band%2BScience/Story/STIStory_384688.html

Some images of the skull are here: http://storage.canalblog.com/92/74/119589/39865469.jpg
http://storage.canalblog.com/60/51/119589/39865548.jpg
http://storage.canalblog.com/39/55/119589/39865571.jpg

Regardless of the debate on private collecting, I just thought it would be a
good idea to put the word out that more remains attributed to Alioramus exist.
I also hoped that someone might shed light on the mention of more Alioramus
skulls.  Are any of these in the hands of museums or paleo-friendly
institutions?

Adam Pritchard
acp002@mcdaniel.edu