Re: "Epic carving found in Vero "

Delurking for the obvious.

Dan, I can see in my minds eye, the other part of the bone missing from the one with the mammoth that said" Will Carve for Food". Starving artists always.

On a more serious note...

It is a wonderful find and I congratulate the amateur hunter for not selling the thing because in all likely hood, he doesn't own it anyway. I don't know the whole story so I have to assume he did the right things but.......

I have to take this moment to point out yet another very significant contribution to science by amateurs. I wonder who owned the beach he searched on or so it goes.....I don't get the double standard. Vertebrate fossil material taken from public land (or someone else's) in his own collection for years.....and all that. There seems to be no outcry here. I'm very confused and potentially grumpy at that apparent double standard. Did I miss something here?

Don't get me wrong, I believe he did a good thing and should get praise from both the archeological community and the paleontologic community. Though I wouldn't have found it, I won't go on federal/ state/indian land for anything. There could be a complete Pachycephalosaur ten feet over the line on one of the BLM in holdings on my ranch. I'll never find it. Obviously, I believe some rule are meant to be broken as in despite a high probability he was collecting off public land, he should not be persecuted and probably won't be. Good. Perhaps it's not illegal to collect debris washed up by the tide even if it's a fossil. My private beach here along the paleo- channel of a Hell Creek River is 65 million years older and the rules are different just across that private land/public land imaginary line.

Frank (Rooster)Bliss
Weston, Wyoming
www.wyomingdinosaurs.com