Phylogenetic bracket - was: Re: Land of the Lost review-spoiler?

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Andreas Johansson wrote:

> Lepidosaurs and crocodiles _do_ bracket dinosaurs; the phylogeny is
> (lepidosaurs(crocs, dinos)).

HELP! It seems I completely misunderstood what an EPB is - I always
thought you need at least one descendant (like birds for dinos) to
bracket something.

Here we have

+lepidos

|-+-crocs

  |-dinos

How does this *bracket* dinos?

Would be grateful for some explanation..

Martin.

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin BÃker
                   Institut fÃr Werkstoffe
                   Technische UniversitÃt Braunschweig