RE: Sick of all the Crap on the DML

I think the point you're missing about Hollywood is that we all know its fake.
Taking a break from the "real" to go laugh at the "junk" with friends is just
fun. I don't know if I speak for all paleontology on this, but I myself enjoy
the comedy (although its probably not meant to be comedy)  in many of these
movies.  Now, my opinion of Will Ferrell as a paleontologist in "Land of the
Lost" is that I would like to see him reenact that most famous scene from
"Jurassic Park" involving a T.rex and an attorney (with Mr. Ferrell being the
attorney).  What concerns all of us is not really Hollywood, but the blurring
of the line between Hollywood sensational fiction and informative TV.
Hollywood is good entertainment.  I go to see a dinosaur movie, I go for
special effects, explosions, and cheesy one-liners.  Now I don't know you're
background or how much time you have spent teaching outside the college level
on matters of paleontology (I've spent the last three summers doing it).  The
vast majority of the public can separate Hollywood from science but will accept
what they see on Discovery, History, etc because of HOW its presented.  And for
me, having to spend time "detoxing" students from the junk that's passing as
"educational" is stupid.  People like dinosaurs; dinosaurs lead people to
science so more dinosaur shows on TV can be a good thing.  But they cross the
line between being sensational to grab viewers and being informative.  That is
the primary: the information being so watered down or so cut up or so made-up
that the public cannot distinguish facts from fiction.

I don't want to get into the last issue at all for personal reasons.
Richard Bykowski
M.S. Geoscience/Vertebrate Paleontology (2009)
University of Iowa
121 Trowbridge Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242

-I used to watch "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and always wondered
why Charlie Brown was so upset over his trick-or-treat bag full of rocks. I
always thought it would be a great thing to get!