Re: Amazing Appalachiosaurus Arms

acp002@mcdaniel.edu wrote:
> I recently came across the webpage for the McWane Science Center's exhibit
> on Alabama dinosaurs (http://www.mcwane.org/exhibits/alabama_dinosaurs).
> Unsurprisingly, Appalachiosaurus is the most prominently featured animal.
> At the bottom of the page, there is a very intriguing video on the taxon,
> prominently featuring its forearms.
>
> The cast skeleton on display has incredibly elongate, robust,
> three-fingered forearms.  The arms are almost absurd; they seem
> proportionally longer than those of any tyrannosauroid or carnosaur.

[snip]

> The initial description certainly doesn't attribute forearm material to
> this animal, and the paper's reconstruction looks like a relatively
> average tyrannosaurid.  Could this be a new speculation based on the
> purported basal position of Appalachiosaurus in the Tyrannosauroidea, thus
> giving it more basal coelurosaurian/Ornitholestes-type arms?

The arms are still unknown. As reconstructed they are longer than to be
expected for a dinosaur within the Dryptosaurus + Tyrannosauridae node
(where it consistently falls, closer to Tyrannosauridae than to
Dryptosaurus), but is fully consistent with the basal tyrannosauroid
condition in Guanlong, Eotyrannus, etc.

I suspect they may have simply wanted to emphasize the non-Tyrannosauridae
position of the animal.

--
Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084