Re: New Ruben Paper

*These are just a few quotes from the Science daily article.
I can't say I care much for the way of thinking; ignore and, when possible, mock evidence that does not support your own hypothesis.*

1.The implication, the researchers said, is that birds almost certainly did not descend from theropod dinosaurs, such as tyrannosaurus or allosaurus.

2."A velociraptor did not just sprout feathers at some point and fly off into the sunset," Ruben said.

3.The newest findings, the researchers said, are more consistent with birds having evolved separately from dinosaurs and developing their own unique characteristics, including feathers, wings and a unique lung and locomotion system.

*Furthermore, quotes from the scientific paper (below) shows, to me, that their results does not have the implications mentioned by Ruben in the Science daily article (i.e. birds have not evolved from dinosaurs).
*
"Many of these skeletal specializations are not apparent in the earliest birds, including Archaeopteryx, confuciusornithine or enantiornithine birds." *Same as in theropods. *

"Our data indicate that the earliest avian forms (Archaeopteryx, confuciusornithine and some enantiornithine birds) may have had pelvic volume similar to ostriches; however, it seems unlikely that they were able to have efficiently prevented abdominal air-sacs from paradoxical collapse due to their short postacetabular ilia and ischia." *As they also noted for tyrannosaurid theropods.*

"It was not until the appearance of Late Cretaceous ornithurines (e.g., Ichthyornis) that the postacetabular ilium expanded, the pubic rami lost midline fusion and the specialized ventilatory features of the sternum and ribs first appeared." *Probably what you would expect as it formed through an evolutionary process.*

*They certainly have made some very useful observations about avian anatomy, but all they seem to have shown is that theropod dinosaurs, and indeed early birds, probably did not have the exact same ventilatory system as modern day birds.

Espen

Ps! I also found it odd that they in the scientific article compare an ostrich with a Tyrannosaurus rex, and that this looks like it was taken from a 30 years old reconstruction.
*

--
Espen M. Knutsen
PhD student