Re: Save the University of Wyoming Geological Museum

(Disclaimer, I know and like Brent Breithaupt and sincerely regret the loss
 of jobs for so many people worldwide.)

I am skeptical that signing or  circulating a petition will do anything to
stop the closing of the museum and  the loss of two jobs. No remedy or
alternative is provided in the petition.

What is the job description for Geological Museum  Director?    Since there
is already a Collections Manager and a  Curator, according to Kelli's email
below, what skills, responsibilities and  duties is Brent providing that
are unique, critical and not redundant to the  duties of the present
collections manager and curator?  On the Geological  Museum's website, Brent is
described as Director and Curator.

--- On Tue,  6/9/09, Kelli Trujillo <kellitrujillo@wyoming.com> wrote:
> Date:  Tuesday, June 9, 2009, 12:39 PM
> No, Brent is the Director of the  Geological Museum, Mike
> Cassiliano is the Collections Manager, and Mark  Clementz is
> the Curator. Brent's position is the one that has  been
> eliminated (and his part-time secretary).

As someone else  asked, what is the museum receiving in charitable gifts
and donations?   Since it's a free museum and evidently not self-supporting,
being funded by the  university puts it on the firing line when the budget is
cut.  Are requests  for grants being made?  I don't see it listed on
GuideStar.  What are  the yearly attendance figures at the museum?  What are
the
profits from the  website giftshop?

Does the Geological Museum not get a percentage  from the sale of casts
from its  Apatosaurus?
http://trieboldpaleontology.com/specimens/apatosaurus.html
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/other_business/article/0,2777,DRMN_239
16_5574069,00.html

"Currently,  staffers are working on an apatosaurus dinosaur fossil that's
80 feet long. It  contains more than 400 bones. The apatosaurus - formerly
brontosaurus - was  displayed at the University of Wyoming Geological Museum
for almost 50 years.  Triebold Paleontology is restoring the fossil,
cleaning it and then remounting  it for the museum. It also is creating a cast
replica that will sell for  $175,000."

At least one cast has been sold, to the Tellus Museum in  Georgia. Were
exclusive casting rights and profits given away in exchange for  the remount of
the original?  A percentage of the sale from each cast could  help the
museum be(come) self-sustaining.

Christy Walton, one of  the world's richest women, lives in Jackson,
Wyoming.  Someone should  (have) contacted her foundation.

Charge admission to the  museum.

Mary

fingertips.