RE: Descriptions for Ichthyosaur Genera

> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:28:03 +0100
> From: mike@indexdata.com
> To: andyfarke@hotmail.com
> CC: saint_abyssal@yahoo.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: RE: Descriptions for Ichthyosaur Genera
> Don't be shy about recommending Wikipedia. Yes, it's unreliable; but
> it's by far the best online source for finding the references of the
> papers that first described particular genera or species. There are
> plenty of other online sources that will tell you that the authority
> for Cedarosaurus is Tidwell at al. 1999, but not many will tell you
> that this refers to Tidwell, V., Carpenter, K. and Brooks, W. (1999).
> New sauropod from the Lower Cretaceous of Utah, USA. Oryctos 2:
> 21-37. And the great thing is, if that information IS incorrect,
> you'll see that for yourself when you read the paper.

Very true on Wikipedia being a generally good resource for finding specific
citations! Some folks have indeed put lots of work into many of the pages--it's
just that some paleo-related articles contain an interesting blend of peer
reviewed and "pop culture" science, so caveat emptor. . .if I could clone
myself, I would devote more time to the project!