Re: JVP 29(2) Spoiler Alert

David Marjanovic wrote:

> >> Nope, it's Angulamastacator (although I had the same reaction).
>
> <headdesk>

There seems to be a lot of this <headdesk> going on lately.  :-)

> It has to be wondered if this falls under Article 32.5.
> http://www.iczn.org/iczn/includes/page.jsp?article=32&nfv=

Unfortunately, no.  32.5.1 states "Incorrect transliteration or latinization,
or use of an inappropriate connecting vowel, are not to be considered
inadvertent errors."  So we're stuck with it.  Improperly formed genera such as
_Gigantspinosaurus_, _Confuciusornis_, _Aberratiodontus_, and the one above
can't be changed.  Same goes for typographical errors, such as the species
names of _Sinornithosaurus millenii_ (millennium has two n's).

I guess the ICZN takes the view that correct transliteration and latinization
are the responsibility of the author(s).

Cheers

Tim