Re: Save the University of Wyoming Geological Museum

Hidden in the reader comments for the article I posted a couple of days ago
 ("Museum Comments Sidestepped") is this useful information:

Patricia A  wrote on Jun 17, 2009 6:14 AM: "While surfing the web for
related news stories I  ran across a document from a few years back in which
the
University of Wyoming,  College of Arts & Science, Central Committee, took
on the task to "Determine  the usefulness and effectiveness of the Geological
Museum (GM), and include any  recommendations about the administrative
structures and financial resources."  You may find this document  at
https://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/a&s/Policy/Central_C_Area/05-06-CC/Geology%20Muse
um%20II.doc  "

Hello, University of Wyoming Trustees, you have a strategic business  plan
right there that should have been and still could be followed.  Brent  is
complimented and even lauded for the job he was doing. The museum was getting
more than 3500 visitors a year (deduced from the signatures in the guest
book).  It is stressed that the museum is a valuable Wyoming asset that it
is being run on a shoestring, and money for staffing, updating exhibits and
just  keeping it open isn't there:

"There is no room in the system for a cut  back without shutting down the
facility."
"Given that museum support is  already at a minimum level, downsizing is
not possible to keep the facility  operational. Elimination of the facility is
the only alternative. We see no  possible advantage in that course in that:
a very visible public outreach tool  will be lost (with commensurate
negative impacts on public relations); the  savings to the college are small;
the
space is unusable for any other purpose  without expensive modification; and
repository functions will be lost."
"The  benefits provided by the GM to the college, university, state, and
outside the  state are such that this committee believes it should not be
eliminated or  downsized."

The report goes on to suggest other funding plans and sources  to sustain
and improve the museum. This report should have been read at the  trustees
meeting.

Mary

In a message dated 6/18/2009 11:55:24 A.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,