Re: Arthur Hayward's Famous Dinosaurs

I MUST have that articulated armature skeleton! Nice explanation of a three part mold too.

On Jun 19, 2009, at 7:03 PM, Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

Arthur Hayward was an artist employed by the Natural History Museum in the
1960's. Back then it may have been the B.M.(N.H.). A gifted sculptor, he
also collaborated with Ray Harryhausen (who had recently settled in London)
modeling the maquettes for the stop motion dinosaur animation models for
Harryhausen's films such as "One Million Years B.C." and "Valley of Gwangi".
Pete Von Sholly alerted me to this rare video of Hayward at work.
Burian's influence is readily apparent. In fact, in this clip Burian
images are all over the studio.
Note also that instead of the machined metal armature normally used inside
animation puppets, Hayward creates an articulated dinosaur skeleton!
The Harryhausen/Hayward relationship ended rather quickly for reasons
still unclear. Hayward was never given onscreen credit for his work, yet he
created some of film's most iconic dinosaurs. See the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYxuEEbDpxw

DV