Re: Limusaurus Inextricabilis

On Mon, Jun 22nd, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Augusto Haro wrote:

> Thank you for the data. Regarding lethality of splints of bone,
> according to Wings (2007), ostriches can eat and destroy glass in
> their stomach without suffering from cuts. In any case, I suppose
> hyaenas and other bone-crackers may face similar problems.

I get the impression that most bone-eating mammals have the dental equipment to
grind and
splinter bone into small enough pieces that they don't need especially tough
stomach linings. Most
mammalian carnivores tend to have relatively simple digestive systems, so the
chewing phase is
no-doubt a very important part of the digestive process. Cooked bones
complicate matters for
dogs and cats though, since they have different fracture patterns to fresh
bone, and can cause
internal bleeding in the worst cases. Cooked bone may not disolve as readily as
raw bones either.

Archosaurs that swallow bones whole but don't chew, such as crocodilians and
lammergeiers, tend
to have outrageously powerful stomach acids. No doubt their stomach linings are
a lot tougher than
the average mammalian stomach too - crocs will swallow a herbivore's severed
head with apparent
relish, despite the pointed horns.

So although sharp bone splints might be a problem to our sensitive mammalian
stomaches, the
much tougher digestive systems of dinosaurs might have had no problem with them
(if crocs and
vultures are anything to go by).

Dann Pigdon
GIS / Archaeologist                Australian Dinosaurs