Re: Jurassic Park IV

2009/6/23 Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com>:
> I am with those disliking human participation in dinosaur movies. As a
> child, I disliked all romance, human conversations, complaining about
> their fathers, inter-human conflict, human planning, fighting
> primitive men, etc. I also hate dinosauroids, they make dinosaur
> movies more like alien movies, or like westernerns against tribal
> cultures, depending on the development of the dinosauroid culture.

For the record, I'd always take Walking with Dinosaurs over JP any
day. And excessively humanoid dinosaurs bother me, but intelligent
ones I can take or leave.

Just no raptor commandos.

> Dinosaur-only action would seem good to me. Although it may mean a
> feeble plot, one does not see dinosaur movies expecting some kind of
> Orson Welles' masterpiece such as Touch of Evil. I think somebody
> should resurrect the project of the movie "Evolution" by Ray
> Harryhausen, or perhaps make something more on the line of the
> animated sequence of Walt Disney's 1940 Fantasia. All without
> narrator, neither some Attenborough or Nigel Marven smiling to the
> camera.

I like Attenborough, personally, but naturalistic dinosaur films sound
good to me.

> Some other things may help dinosaur movies, I think:
>
> Please, no martial arts or anthropomorphic fighting in dinosaurs or
> other animals no matter how "cool" the moves may look for some. This
> is for the Spinosaurus breaking the neck of the Tyrannosaurus with a
> fast movement as if someone was a killing a chick, and for King Kong
> hitting T.rexes' heads against rocks, biting off dinosaur tongues
> (particularly disgusting in my view), opening dinosaur jaws like
> Samson, a temnospondyl throwing Arthropleura against a spike, etc.

Have you ever seen Future War? It's a terrible movie, nothing but
kickboxing and fakey tyrannosaurs. Best watched with the Mystery
Science Theater treatment.

If somebody wants dinosaurs in their action movie, I don't have a
problem with it. But keep action movies out of my dinosaur stuff.

> And if they want to put humans, I should ask for victory of the
> animals at least in some movie, and not "superhuman"-irrealistic
> killing of the animal, as some jerk with a katana cutting an
> Allosaurus-like dinosaur in two (I know this did not happened, as far
> as I saw, but things like that happen in movies). No more Tarzans,
> please. Most human beings would be paralyzed in terror, as they would
> with a lion, and not playing to be Jet Li.

Arguably, the dinosaurs "win" in the JP franchise (at least the
films). Of course, two hours of nothing but humans being eaten would
be crass and boring, IMO.

> Humans should be like fodder, like mice to the cat. Mice do not kill
> the cat. They would just plan to escape. I do not enjoy seeing humans
> predominate against or badly treating powerful animals of our days
> (bears, bulls, elephants, lions) and neither against extinct animals,
> so I am neither in favor of guns or other human arms.

I agree, although realistically people will always try to defend
themselves against such threats, if they can. And pretty much every
film/book/story ever made has featured humans as the protagonists,
mostly because people are self-asborbed, or at least uncomfortable
with operating by an unfamiliar set of psychological assumptions.

But in the end, what can we say? Nuance and naturalism just don't sell
like blood and sex do. Just our collective nature, I guess.