Re: Cpyright of figures used in theses

> Hi, I wish to know if you can take figures from published sources for
> use in theses without need of permission from the publishers. In case
> one can not, would the same apply to re-drawings? How do you prove
> that you have permission? Would it suffice with an e-mail from the
> publishers giving permission?

If the figure is from a journal paper, you can also get permission
from the author - although authors give away the copyrigth for the
full paper, they retain the right of using individual figures. With a
book it is probably similar, but this depends on the details of the
book contract.

Re-drawings are usually o.k. - you should still add a reference,
though.

Cheers,

Martin.

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin BÃker