Re: Long-necked stegosaur coming out in Proceedings B

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:54 AM, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:

> Â> While possible, I'd have to wonder why the rear end of the tail
> Â> would be facing the predator, rather than the side. Most animals
> Â> that use their tails in defense (crocodiles, monitor lizards,
> Â> iguanas, etc) tend to present one side, or another to an
> Â> attacker. This has the benefit of presenting a much larger target
> Â> to the predator (which in this case, would be intimidating rather
> Â> than inviting), and allowing for "better aim" of the tail.
>
> Yay! ÂLet's hear it for taking into account the actual, observable
> behaviour of extant animals!

Could this be a case of animators-get-it-right?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iMEmv6aWYmc/SKhZ1KQAHyI/AAAAAAAAAPo/KdlqnNHwbAc/s320/Tyrannosaurus+v+Stegosaurus.jpg

(Pity they got so much else wrong in that particular piece, but....)
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California