Re: Long-necked stegosaur coming out in Proceedings B

Quoting Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>:

>  > While possible, I'd have to wonder why the rear end of the tail
>  > would be facing the predator, rather than the side. Most animals
>  > that use their tails in defense (crocodiles, monitor lizards,
>  > iguanas, etc) tend to present one side, or another to an
>  > attacker. This has the benefit of presenting a much larger target
>  > to the predator (which in this case, would be intimidating rather
>  > than inviting), and allowing for "better aim" of the tail.
>
> Yay!  Let's hear it for taking into account the actual, observable
> behaviour of extant animals!

Keep in mind that the modern analogues mentioned above are all sprawl-limbed
ectotherms.

I believe porcupines tackle their predators tail-first - then again, they have
much more extensive
armoury for their size, the spread tail spines easily eclipsing the rest of
their body.

Dann Pigdon