Re: Evidence for gregarious behavior and age segregation in sauropod dinosaurs

A potential confounding factor relative to the interpretation of trapped herds
is the fact that traps generally, including 'mud-based' traps, are usually
size-selective. Relative to any given quality of mud, there will be a size
threshold below which limb penetration will not be deep enough to cause miring.
Much larger animals may have enough power to overcome the viscosity of the
entrapping fluid, and/or long enough limbs to reach the 'bottom' of a given
trap.

Given a very large intra-specific size range, these mechanisms could easily
result in age-selective (ie, mid-size) entrapment and preservation episodes,
giving the appearance of 100% entrapment of an age-segregated herd, whereas in
reality the larger and smaller herd individuals escaped entrapment.

The presence of other fossils of a size-diverse range of species in the same
stratigraphic position might lend support for an age-segregation interpretation
of a given deposit, but the diverse and transitory (weather-related) nature of
mud-trap conditions allows some doubt to be cast in this scenario as well.

Don