Re: Long-necked stegosaur, head tail mimicry?

So I suppose I'm back to the habitat question. I'm wondering if long
necks are correlated with seasonally arid environments, where being
able to reach any available  foliage in (comparatively unaffected)
riparian zones would be critical to survival during the dry season
and/or periods of prolonged or irregular drought. Conversely, one
could then predict that the shortest-necked sauropods would tend to be
found in the areas least subject to seasonal aridity.

Predator-defense seems counterintuitive to me. Extending the length of
blood vessels and trachea potentially exposed to attack seems far less
suitable than the titanosaur approach of dermal armor, or the
shunosaur approach of active deterrence via a non-vital, fully
weaponized portion of the anatomy. Even having oversized manual claws
and rearing up to lash out with them makes more sense from a purely
defensive standpoint.

Sexual selection hypotheses imply that one gender or other should have
distinctly longer necks than their counterpart, but even if that's the
case, AFAIK the other gender's neck is always still pretty damn long -
certainly well in excess of what's necessary for grazing purposes.

I wish I had time to review the literature to see if I could pick out
a rough environmental correlation.