SV: Favorite Paleotrivia?

Well, here are a few (not many dinosaurs I'm afraid)

The last primate in North America is called Ekgmowechashala, which means
"small fox-man" in Lakotah

Franz, baron Nopcsa is definitely the most mis-spelled man in the
history of Paleontology, he is more often than not spelled Nopsca. He is
also I think the only palaeontologist ever to seriously aspire to a
throne (as king of Albania)

The longest avian generic name is the extinct stork
Palaeoephippiorhynchus (Lambrecht 1930)

A Neanderthal skull was found in Gibraltar in 1848, 8 years before the
find in Neanderthal, but ended up unstudied in a museum drawer, so it
became Neanderthal man rather than Gibraltar man. Ironically recent
excavations suggest that Gibraltar was one of the very last places where
Neanderthals survived. The 1848 skull may also be the only fossil ever
to appear on a coin (1 pound Gibraltar 2001).

Bone Cabin Quarry at Como Bluff got its name from a nearby cabin, built
out of dinosaur bones.

An egg of the extinct Madagascar ratite Aepyornis has been found in West
Australia. Opinion is divided whether it floated there, or was brought
by humans in prehistoric times. Both seem unlikely.

Fossils of the marine protozoan genus Nummulites (a single-celled
organism) are up to 15 cm across, making them larger than many fossil
birds and mammals (I don't think there are any dinosaurs that small?)

A fossil bird (a grebe) was actually found in a drill-core from an oil
well in Kern County, California in the 1930's (2100 feet below surface)

Fossils, "dragon teeth", are used in traditional Chinese medicine. The
dutch palaeontologist G. H. R von Koenigswald used to systematically
visit Chinese drugstores all over the world and look through their wares
and discovered the giant primate Gigantopithecus this way. He also named
a human species Sinanthropus officinalis from "drugstore teeth"
(officinalis means "from the drugstore"). It is however now synonymized
with Homo erectus.

The famous Diceratherium rhinoceros from Grand Coulee is probably the
only fossil ever discovered from the inside (Walter M. Chappell, M. J.
Wyatt Durham, Donald E. Savage (1951): Mold of a rhinoceros in basalt,
Lower Grand Coulee, Washington, Geological Society of America Bulletin
62: 907-918.)

Tommy Tyrberg