Re: SV: Favorite Paleotrivia?

Quoting Tommy Tyrberg <tommy.tyrberg@norrkoping.mail.telia.com>:

> An egg of the extinct Madagascar ratite Aepyornis has been found in West
> Australia. Opinion is divided whether it floated there, or was brought
> by humans in prehistoric times. Both seem unlikely.

I seem to remember that the Western Australian elephant-bird eggs (two of them)
were discovered
in coastal sand dunes, which makes it highly likely that they floated there
across the Indian ocean.
It's only an 8,000 km trip!

Given that elephant birds often layed their eggs in beach dunes, and that
storms must have
dislodged thousands of them during the species's temporal range, the fact that
at least two (that
we know of) managed to make the trip intact isn't so unlikely. They're fairly
hardy eggs after all.

Dann Pigdon