Re: Favorite Paleotrivia?

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:44 PM, David Marjanovic
<david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:

> It's an omomyid, right? That makes debatable whether it's a stem- or a crown
> haplorhine, but it is a crown primate, right?

Someone more knowledgeable about omomyids can say, but I thought there
was a theory that they were close to plesiadapids, which are
stem-primates.

> Yes, and drop the pointless h already. That was done in 1901 when the German
> language got a unified orthography for the first time.

I'm not speaking German. ;)
Too late to exclude it from the scientific name (_Homo
neanderthalensis_), anyway.

> (This th business seems to have been another attempt at making German look
> more like Greek. In terms of pronunciation, etymology, grammar, anything you
> can think of, it really was pointless.)

Oh, so it's not a relic of proto-Germanic interdental fricatives
(retained in English and Icelandic)?
--
T. Michael Keesey
Glendale, California