Re: Long-necked stegosaur, head tail mimicry?

Mike Keesey wrote:

> I don't have a strong opinion here, but I'd like to advance the idea
> of coining a new name. Names with rank-associated suffixes pose
> potential problems for agreement between rank-based nomenclature and
> phylogenetic nomenclature. Not to say such rank-based names should
> never be converted to clade names, but there are alternatives
> ("Euhelopoda"?).

Yes, that would work.  It's been done before (Lognkosauria, Turiasauria,
Elasmaria, etc).  But we shouldn't have to always tip-toe around
rank-associated suffixes (-oidea, -idae, -inae, -ini) out of fear of future
ICZN entanglements.  Euhelopodidae is a perfectly good available name.
Coordinated family-based taxa should be tied to their respective eponymous
genera, not to specific phylogenetic hypotheses.  So if _Euhelopus_ gets moved
up the sauropod tree (from outside the Neosauropoda to nested inside
Titanosauriformes) then the Euhelopodidae should follow.

Personally, I'm in favor of abandoning ALL coordinated family-based taxon names
(-oidea, -idae, -inae, -ini), and just adding suffixes that put all
suprageneric taxa out of the reach of the ICZN: Euhelopoda, Brachiosauria,
Mamenchisauria, and so on.  Then you can put one clade inside the other (and
vice versa) without raising the ire of "The Code".

Cheers

Tim