Re: Long-necked stegosaur, head tail mimicry?

Quoting Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>:

Tim Williams writes:
 > Speaking of long sauropod necks... there's a new paper in the
 > pipeline on _Euhelopus_.  Although Wilson & Upchurch break up the
 > clade of long-necked Chinese sauropods ("Euhelopodidae", containing
 > _Euhelopus_, _Mamenchisaurus_, and _Omeisaurus_), they baulk at
 > erecting (or defining) a new Euhelopodidae, which would include
 > _Euhelopus_ and _Erketu_.

I should think so!  It would be disastrous to resurrect that name to
denote a completely different clade from the one that it has been
universally understood to mean.

Why? Hasn't Euhelopodidae always been universally understood to mean something like "_Euhelopus_ and its closest relatives, up to the level of morphological disparity I'm willing to accept as a single 'family'"?

Nicholas J. Pharris