Re: Heterodontosaurid with protofeathers

Mike Keesey wrote:

> Seems we don't really know the state for most
> sauropodomorphs. Those embryonic titanosaurs are scaled, but who knows
> about non-titanosaurian sauropodomorphs?

Aside from _"Pelorosaurus" becklesii_ (basal titanosauriform), preserved
integument has been reported for diplodocids, according to Martin & Czerkas
(2000; Amer. Zool. 40: 687â694):

"While the exact scale pattern is not known in detail, the sides of the body of
diplodocids were covered with raised studs some of which are over ten
centimeters in diameter. They do not cover dermal ossicles as in the armored
scutes of crocodilians."

I haven't seen this described elsewhere, and I have no idea which specimen is
being referred to.

>From here:

> http://phylonom.wildprehistory.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=12
>
> With this new evidence from ornithischians, it looks like Avifilopluma
> might even include all of Dinosauria, or even Ornithodira
> (Dinosauromorpha + Pterosauromorpha)!

Yes, that's true.  Wow.  This highlights some of the perils associated with
apomorphy-based definitions: (1) establishing homology; (2) having the content
of an apomorphy-based clade expand dramatically when the phylogenetic bracket
for the particular apomorphy expands.

> Shouldn't that be "confucii"? Oh well....

I thought that was strange as well.  In a similar vein, we have
_Confuciusornis_ rather than _Confuciornis_.  I've wondered if when genera or
species are erected that incorporate the names of revered historical or
religious figures, then a conscious decision is made to keep the entire name
intact, as a mark of respect.  After all, we also have _Lazarussuchus_, which
was named after Lazarus, a biblical (New Testament) character.

Cheers

Tim