RE: Murphy to cop plea on federal charges

The Nate Murphy story is quite sad as it has left some serious damage in its
wake that will likely be felt by the paleo community for some time.  There
are a number of landowners of some rich fossil-bearing land in Montana whose
experience with Murphy will leave them wary of any researchers, regardless
of legitimacy.  At least two have decided to never let anyone on their land
again if they mention dinosaurs.  Black Hills Institute was, and continues
to be, extremely helpful to the real science of the Leonardo project and was
completely blindsided by Murphy's very intricate web of deceptions, as were
many people.  Most severely affected by Murphy are the people of Malta,
Montana from whom he stole more that what appears in the court documents.
There are a number of scientists who gave a great deal of their time and
energy to the project and who should be recognized.  Jeff Hecht writes that
Murphy did some respectable work on Leonardo.  What many don't realize is
that Murphy took credit for work done by others who may never get their due
as Murphy had a habit of pushing people out of the project after he was able
to glean some of their insight and, in many cases, make it his own.  One of
the real mysteries is where Murphy did get the knowledge he possessed.  As
the story of his life as he told many people was a fabrication, does anyone
have any knowledge of his being in paleo prior to 1991?

Joe Iacuzzo
joe@mummydinosaur.com
702.685.8335
702.808.1609 cell