Birds vs. Jets

Going back to a related issue-- medium-large birds getting sucked into jet
engine intakes-- would it not be possible to design an aerodynamic, convex
metal grid covering the intake that could deflect bird collisions and yet
withstand the force of the  engine's suction and not obstruct it? Sort of like
a steam locomotive's "cow catcher". --Mark