Re: Birds vs. Jets

The risk of the grid being sucked in due to a weakening via a bird-strike impact would also be quite high. And hard rigid components being sucked in are more certain to cause the engine to explosively fragment. Thus not a good idea. Disruption of the air flow could be minimised, but icing in the lee of the flow could also occur.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Edels" <edels@msn.com>
To: "James R. Cunningham" <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 9:53 AM
Subject: RE: Birds vs. Jets

Jim:

Of course that would be a major problem.

It's within the realm of possibility that a grid could be designed that would reduce the disruption to a minimum, while maintaining sufficient protection. However, my fluid dynamics is about 30 years in the past, and I don't have the solution. (I can only imagine it at this point). Your expertise is greater than my own. (And I'm not groveling, just being honest :-))

It's probable that the problems are currently beyond our abilities to create such a grid, but with new materials and modeling directed at the problem, we might be able to build something in the future that would work.

[I had thought that some sort of air gun that would push the birds out of the way, but the intake of the engine would negate the efficacy].

Later,

Allan Edels