Re: JVP - Doswellia - Dilkes and Sues 2009

For outgroups. Mesosuchus shares little with Prolacerta, except the postparietals absent (12) postaxial cervical intercentra absent (45), similar central ratios between cervicals and dorsals (47), all this according to Dilkes and Sues. So really, not much. Prolacerta remains a good choice for outgroup, but not Mesosuchus.

Huh?

Outgroups don't need to be sister-groups of each other (and indeed aren't in this case). You can have a paraphyletic outgroup. Is that what you mean?

Too bad we don't know which proterochampsid was used in analysis, whether Proterochampsa, Chanaresuchus, Tropidosuchus

Probably all of them. It ought to be mentioned somewhere, though. Is there supplementary information?

Also, I note they report: "Data for [a large number of included taxa] were obtained primarily from the literature." From what I've heard from referees, that's been outlawed.

Depends on the literature.