Re: How Sauropods Got So Big

David Marjanovic wrote:

> Actually, you have it backwards.
>
> How were the sauropods even capable of eating their
> vegetables?
> Because they were so big!
>
> :-)

Ah, but then again... it's only because they were capable of eating plant
fodder that sauropods were able to achieve such large body sizes.  For
sauropods and other landlubbers, it's only plants that can offer such a readily
accessible and ubiquitous source of biomass.  You can't get to the size of an
_Argentinosaurus_ (or even an _Apatosaurus_) by eating flesh, or even
invertebrates.  Not on land, anyway.

Of course, some terrestrial carnivores did get big.  Some were very big, like
the largest carnosaurs and tyrannosaurs.  But they probably only got that big
by targeting really big herbivores - like sauropods or hadrosaurs.  (Even
_Spinosaurus_ probably preyed on sauropods, like _Paralititan_ or
_Aegyptosaurus_; I doubt it could've gotten so big by feeding exclusively on
fish.)  So it was sauropods which allowed theropods to get bigger, by serving
as very large, mobile pools of protein.  Which gets me back to my original
point.  :-)

Cheers

Tim