Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

David Marjanovic wrote:

> Also, there's evidence from jaw mechanics, too, that
> spinosaurs were "herons from hell".

I agree that spinosaurids were heron-like in their generalist-predator
abilities; but they were not at all heron-like in their wading abilities.  I
don't doubt that _Spinosaurus_ could have preyed upon giant lungfish or
coelacanths in its habitat.  These mega-fish certainly offered a huge source of
protein to a predator.  But I do very much doubt that _Spinosaurus_ was
*specialized* for feeding on fish like these.

If _Spinosaurus_ was a dedicated piscivore with a preference for lungfish or
coelacanths, why doesn't it show any aquatic/wading adaptations?  Instead, the
postcranium tells us that spinosaurs were dryfooted landlubbers.  I'm aware
that grizzly bears, which are terrestrial, are capable of catching fish from
the shoreline - but it doesn't feed on fish all of the time.

And as I said previously, the closest example of a modern bird that specializes
in catching lungfish is the shoebill.  Morphologically, there's not a whole lot
similar between a spinosaur and a shoebill, either cranially or postcranially.

(BTW, thanks for the links!)

Cheers

Tim