Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

--- On Sun, 3/29/09, Graydon <oak@uniserve.com> wrote:

> > If _Spinosaurus_ was a dedicated piscivore with a
> preference for
> > lungfish or coelacanths, why doesn't it show any
> aquatic/wading
> > adaptations?  Instead, the postcranium tells us that
> spinosaurs were
> > dryfooted landlubbers.
>
> Does it _need_ wading adaptations?  Multi-ton animals have
> a lot of
> trouble walking on top of the mud no matter what their feet
> look like.

And in the case where their feet break through, they certainly DON'T need large
flappy feet w/ webs or whatever to accumulate sediment or be injured by sharp
objects buried in the mud. Or cause difficulty upon withdrawal.

Further, all dinosaurs were presumably required (by the need to lay eggs) to
maintain terrestrial competence. In the case of animals as large as
spinosaurids (or sauropods!), this might leave very little room indeed for
"wading adaptations", at least within pes.

--- On Sun, 3/29/09, Dawid Mazurek <dawidmazurek@wp.pl> wrote:

> BTW, I wonder - what's the current idea on spino's
> back - sail or fat
> magazine?

Spino's might have spent considerable time in shallow and therefore very warm
water. It might be handy for a large animal in that situation to have a
radiator sticking up in the breeze. Kept wet, evaporative cooling would occur,
to bolster any geometry-driven radiative cooling.

So my kneejerk opinion is that it would be a wading adaptation...

Seems like an appealing lifestyle, doesn't it? Play in the water all day, snag
a few silt-stunned fish, perhaps torment one of the smaller crocs for
entertainment. Or go up on the hill looking for juvvie sauropods.

Ah, the good old days...