Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

I think the long-billed bird analogy does not necessarily mean tying
spinosaurs to get into water bodies. Marabu storks and some herons
have long bills yet forage from dry land, and something similar
happens with the hornbills. They can pick up things with their long
snout either on land or water. Using other analogy, snout elongation
in carnivorous mammals is not related to aquatic habitats.

May it be that large spinosaurids mostly eat land prey, mostly animals
well-smaller than themselves, waiting for them near river courses?
This would be more logical in arid regions such as the Sahara, where
many tetrapods will have to go to the river with some regularity
because of the water scarcity. This would put spinosaurids in contact
with fishes, overall those that walk into the water, like some
catfishes. Or to rob their prey to smaller fishers that have lesser
trouble getting into the mud, including smaller spinosaurid specimens.
Spinosaurids may even dig in dry courses to reach the cocoons of
lungfishes, they have large claws after all, and their long snouts may
have helped, as with some sand charadriiforms. I do not know of
posterior refutation to the 1998 Journal of Paleontology paper stating
that Spinosaurus had a hump in the back. Because of this, and because
of the need to accumulate food and water in such an arid environment,
where water sources may have endured little, I would guess Spinosaurus
had a hump.

I know, too much speculation.