Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

"I'm only arguing against the hypothesis that spinosaurids were
specialized piscivores, or even that fish (including giant lungfish)
were even a major part of their diet."

I suppose the bottom line is, why were animals as large as spinosaurs
possessed of such an unusual head/neck morphology? Pretty much every
other group of large theropods has robust skulls adapted to either
hacking/slashing or gouging/crushing - features suitable for big
predators taking big prey. Yet spinosaurs are virtually antithetical
to this arrangement, being large to very large predators that are very
ill-suited to taking large prey.

I'm not yet convinced that a generic diet of smaller animals
(dinosaurs, crocs, lizards, whatever) is sufficient to explain the
extreme development of the snout/neck traits seen in spinosaurs.
Plenty of other medium-smallish to medium-largish theropods must have
had broadly similar diets, yet never specialized in that way. And of
course they don't seem to have reached such stupendous proportions on
those diets, either. I would strongly suspect that, at the very least,
the taking of aquatic prey was an important driver in spinosaur
evolution, even if other prey types continued to be imporant food
sources.