Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

You may be right in that larger carnivores can have more diversified
diets. For example, lions eat from grasshopers to giraffe; wolves eat
from bison to mouse: no cat of the size of the domestic one would
possibly have such a range of prey size. Not only in absolute terms,
but there is a paper, I do not remember the title, where it is stated
that the largest carnivores were more likely to kill prey their size
or above than small carnivores (compare the mainly deer-eating tiger
with the mainly mouse-eating cats the size of the domestic one).
Something similar may apply to crocs, where small juveniles do not
seem to prey upon animals close to their size. Conical teeth may
better serve for fish catching, but in crocodiles their presence is
not hindrance for catching and eating tetrapods as well.

However, I do not consider the small spinosaurs to necessarily do not
survive the harsher seasons. After all, cheetahs survive even with
cleptoparasitism from lions and hyenas, and even baboons. Also, at
least some small spinosaurs would have to survive for there to be
giant adult spinosaurs.