Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

--- On Mon, 3/30/09, Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com> wrote:

> True, Don. But conical teeth and increase in range of
> potential prey
> size would not imply the biggest spinosaurids ate tetrapods
> comparable
> in size to themselves.

Agreed. I adhere to the commonly expressed idea that conical teeth rule (much)
larger-than-bite-size prey _out_, at least in the case where skull engineering
obviates violent shaking/twisting, and skin and connective tissues are strong
enough to present a significant challenge. The latter of which would seem to be
the case w/ herbivorous dinosaurs.

I don't know about Drew's idea of using claws for more than simple
evisceration. Seems a little iffy, but this is mostly speculation anyway.

Maybe claws would work. Plus, a small-ish sauropod would have a large organ
mass, which alone might make it worthwhile as prey choice. Perhaps Spino, et.
al., ate the viscera first and waited a few days for the rest to 'soften up'.

That would explain how a spinosaurid w/ conical teeth could exploit a sauropod,
which of course is a MUCH different matter than explaining how a spinosaurid
got so big while equipped w/ conical teeth.