Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*

Raptorial Talon <raptorialtalon@gmail.com> wrote:

>, and I guess the larger noasaurs as well.
>
> All are generally medium to large (20-50 ft) predators with
> no such profound specializations as spinosaurs, indicating - again,
> obviously - that something weird was going on with the latter.

It's interesting you should mention the "larger noasaurs", because the very
large _Deltadromeus_ (which has been regarded as a noasaur) might also have
been somewhat "weird" - although this would be a different kind of "weirdness"
to spinosaurids.

It all depends on how similar _Deltadromeus_'s skull and teeth were to smaller
noasaurs like the highly specialized _Masiakasaurus_.  Based on the shape and
orientation of the anterior dentary teeth, _Masiakasaurus_ has been suggested
to have fed on small tetrapods, fish, or even invertebates.  We'll need to find
more material for _Deltadromeus_ (including good cranial material) before we
can make assessments of its possible dietary habits.  But until then, I don't
think we can assume that _Deltadromeus_ habitually attacked large prey.

Cheers

Tim