Re: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and ...

Quoting don ohmes <d_ohmes@yahoo.com>:

> Various forms of intra-specific competition have been mentioned as reason for
> Spinosaurus to attain maximal size, so I'll skip those, and go interspecific.
>
> If, as a biped, you spend a lot of time catching fish, specifically
> exploiting fluvial systems w/ lot of shallow water and fluctuating water
> levels, you will be competing w/ crocs, or just trying to stay off _their_
> menu. Especially around those drying pools w/ the trapped fish. Reason enough
> to attain large size, as well as maintain a high degree of terrestrial
> competence.

Deinosuchus would have laughed at a spinosaur's 'large size'.

More likely their large size (relative to us at least) helped them to hold
their own against other
large theropod species. Either that, or they simply inherited large size from
their ancestors.

Dann Pigdon