Deltadromeus (was RE: Size of *Neoceratodus africanus* and/or *N. tuberculatus*)

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Tim Williams
>
> Raptorial Talon <raptorialtalon@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >, and I guess the larger noasaurs as well.
> >
> > All are generally medium to large (20-50 ft) predators with no such
> > profound specializations as spinosaurs, indicating - again,
> obviously
> > - that something weird was going on with the latter.
>

> It's interesting you should mention the "larger noasaurs",
> because the very large _Deltadromeus_ (which has been
> regarded as a noasaur) might also have been somewhat "weird"
> - although this would be a different kind of "weirdness" to
> spinosaurids.

Carrano & Sampson (2008. The Phylogeny of Ceratosauria (Dinosauria:
Theropoda). JSysPaleo 6:183-236) found Deltadromeus to be a basal ceratosaur
rather than a noasaurid. If so, we would not expect it to to have any
particularly Masiakasaurus-like skull features.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/